A nationwide Wise up to CO campaign, designed to bring the silent killer to justice, last night (25 April) won Plumb Center and Parts Center the H&V News Safety Initiative of the Year award.
Judges said: “This campaign stands a good chance of influencing legislation that will have a positive effect on safety.”
The initiative, which was launched in more than 500 branches in 2012, was designed to drive home the message to installers and the public that relatively cheap and easy-to-install CO detectors will save lives. Sales of alarms and test equipment rose by more than 16% during the month-long campaign.
“We’re thrilled to win this award,” said Plumb and Parts’ Gail van Dijk. “It recognises that the work we’ve done with installers, the Gas Safe Register and leading manufacturers really can make a difference.
“We’re passionate about this message because it can help save lives and it’s not very often in business you can say that. Any appliance that burns carbon is a potential killer, so we all owe a duty of care to our customers. We can’t just rely on charities to educate and protect the public.”
It was the first initiative where leading manufacturers of CO detectors and alarms, (Testo, Honeywell, Anton, TPI and Kane), along with the Gas Safe Register and a merchant have come together to support and educate installers.
Tragically the campaign’s importance has been brought into sharp focus following the deaths of a mother and daughter on Lake Windermere and an elderly couple and their daughter in Cornwall – carbon monoxide poisoning was suspected in both cases.