Independent builders merchant buying group NBG LLP has restructured its negotiating teams along category management lines the better to focus on product specialities.
Instead of the old regional management format, the group now has nine categories, each with a chairman who serves for two years, and a vice chairman. The nine categories are: general building , bricks and blocks, civil engineering and landscaping, roofing and insulation, timber, tools and workwear, paints, coatings, decorative and hardware, bathrooms, kitchens and tiles and plumbing and heating.
“The category approach now means that suppliers are negotiating with people who are experienced and skillful in their particular product category and who fully understand the products they are dealing with,” NBG executive chairman Allan Durning told buildersmerchantsjournal.net.
“The previous regional structure didn’t allow for such specialisms to be really taken advantage of. Now, we have the assets in place to do battle with a greater level of confidence and negotiate deals that work better for all parties, merchants and suppliers.
“It’s a change in our behavior, certainly, and one that will challenge suppliers to develop and ratify the best deals to really take product areas forward, growing sales for all parties,” he continued. “The national merchants have been working with category management for sometime now. The size that NBG now are, we have had to get into the mindset of working and thinking like a national merchant but without the drawbacks.”
The nine category chairmen and vice chairmen are:
· General building: Neil Robinson, Interline; Jim Parlato, Browns
· Bricks and blocks: Bernie Tyson, Andrews; Tom Parker, Parkers
· Civils and landscaping: David Surti, McNair; Tim Rowbotham, Collier & Catchpole
· Roofing & insulation: Mark Davies, LBS; Bob Fleetwood, Kellaway
· Timber: Paul Conboy, Beers; Steve Robinson, JT Dove
· Tools & workwear: Nick Drew, Drews; Russell Weston, Frank Key
· Paints, coatings, decorative & hardware: John Poore, Poores; Nick Bulpin, Hughes Forrest
· Bathrooms, kitchens & tiles: Steve Hill, Builders Supply Kendal; Andrew Bentley, Ernest Bentley
· Plumbing & heating: Gary Dudson, Penrith; Nick House, Grant & Stone